Note: this is the same class we offered last year with a few updates and tweaks. If you participated in the Theming Drupal 8 training last year we recommend you consider checking out one of the others this year.
Whether you’re creating an entirely new theme from scratch, or making nips and tucks to an existing design, understanding how Drupal’s theme system works, or having someone on your team who does, is essential.
This workshop will familiarize front-end developers with Drupal 8's theme system through a combination of presentations and hands-on exercises. Whether your goal is to theme your personal site, pass the Acquia front-end developer certification, or upgrade your skills for a job, our goal is to provide students with a solid foundation and enough knowledge to continue to practice and learn on their own.
You'll come away from this course knowing:
- How the Drupal theme layer relates to the rest of the system
- Common theming terminology and processes
- How to override any of Drupal's HTML output
- The relationship between base themes and sub themes
- Everything you need to know about Twig when working with Drupal templates
- Tools for introspecting and debugging a theme
- Tips and tricks for using common front-end development tools like CSS preprocessors and task runners, in conjunction with Drupal
Who will gain the most from this training?
Drupal users who are already proficient with HTML and CSS will learn how to apply those skills to Drupal. Especially those who have worked with Drupal as content editors or site admins already and are looking to learn how to further customize the look and feel of their site beyond what’s possible via the user interface.
This workshop will be useful for both people who are new to Drupal theming as well as those looking to move from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. It provides a solid foundation in Drupal 8 theming fundamentals aimed at ensuring attendees have the knowledge they need to be able to get started developing custom Drupal themes while continuing to learn.